Flora & Fauna is a new line of the cutest clear stamps–The hand-drawn art of their images just makes me smile so big! The instant I saw the Under The Sea set, it made me think of my granddaughter Lilly! That mermaid is just so adorable!
I made the background by watercoloring with some Distress Oxide Inks, drying it with my heat gun, spritzing it with water, heating again, spattering some of the colors.
Used the same inks to watercolor the stamped mermaid and li’l octopus.
First impressions of the Oxide Inks:
- The colors have a chalky look, but not a chalk finish feel. Does that make sense?
- I happen to love pigment inks for their fantastic coverage and rich saturation of color and opacity; Oxide Ink coverage was comparable to pigment ink, with stamp impressions that were nearly, but not quite, as crisp as some of my favorite pigment inks.
- The current color choices feature rich hues that are muted. Bold, but not necessarily “bright”. I will be so curious to see how colors like Picked Raspberry, Squeezed Lemonade, Ripe Persimmon, Twisted Citron, and Abandoned Coral translate in this formula…
- The fusion of dye and pigment inks results in a more opaque effect when watercoloring; I really like the transparency I get with other methods of watercolor, so I’m not sure I personally would use these inks for watercoloring stamped images. I see myself using them more for background effects.
- These inks have a tendency to “lock” into the paper fibers, but even when dry, react to water. It is very interesting that you can layer other colors over the top when the bottom color is dry, but I still have a ways to go before I really understand what happens when I do this, vs. when I do that.
They’re definitely different! And, I definitely need to experiment more with them until I figure out exactly what I like doing with them. LOL!
(Not a full-length feature video; just shows the wobbler in action)
In the meantime, I had to give the little mermaid some mini wobbler action… Because I bought the 100 pack. Don’t judge. They’re so much fun and so ridiculously easy to use for making quick interactive cards! I’m a growed-up (Yes, I know that is not a legitimate word) and I still can’t resist making her wobble. Repeatedly. *facepalm*
Thanks for stopping by today!
SUPPLIES (includes affiliate links):
Flora & Fauna Clear Stamps, Under the Sea
Brilliance Ink Pad, Graphite Black
Ranger Distress Oxide Ink Pad, Peeled Paint
Ranger Distress Oxide Ink Pad, Wilted Violet
Ranger Distress Oxide Ink Pad, Fossilized Amber
Ranger Distress Oxide Ink Pad, Spiced Marmalade
Ranger Distress Oxide Ink Pad, Worn Lipstick
Canson XL Watercolor Paper Pad 9×12
Grumbacher Goldenedge Brush, Round 6
Grumbacher Goldenedge Brush, Round 2
Hero Arts Embossing Gun
Art Impressions Mini Action Wobble, 100 pk
Art Impressions Mini Action Wobble, 48 pk
Art Impressions Mini Action Wobble, 12 pk
Art Impressions Mini Action Wobble, 6 pk