web analytics

Lwoethanks

Spotted a stamp that had text within a solid flower–reverse print. Very cute, but I don’t have that stamp–at least, not yet, anyway! chuckle! So, how to adapt what I DO have, until I can acquire it, is a bit of a trick.

So, basically, I guess this would be a variation on the Resist Technique:

1. I created a mortise (reverse) mask by stamping the solid flower first onto a large Post It Note. (I punched a hole in the center of the flower so I could get my scissors into the center and work my way around the outer edge of the image without destroying the remaining outer areas of the mask.)

2. The mortise mask is placed onto the card front, and the text stamped over it with black ink (I used Staz-On because I wanted a fully bleedproof ink due to some steps further down). Remove the mask, and you’ll see that the text appears only within the shape of the flower image. Ooooh, waaaaaay!!!

3. Next, I re-stamped the solid flower over the top, aligning it carefully with the flower shaped text, but with Versamark ink.

Sidebar: A stamp positioner tool might be particularly useful on this step(I adore my Stamp-a-ma-Jig; best positioner on the market I’ve ever tried and believe me I have tried MANY!!!), BUT, as I actually custom mount most of my stamps, I was easily able to eyeball the placement of the image pretty accurately without the positioner.

4. Heat embossed the image with clear embossing powder.

5. Highlighted the edges and center of the embossed flower by carefully swirling dye ink over the image; the embossed image will “resist” the dye ink. Then, I buffed off any residual dye ink from the embossed image.

6. Stamped the stem and sentiment with dye inks

It took 2 trials before I figured out how to properly order the steps to achieve the results I was shooting for, but I am very happy with how this simple, no layer card turned out!!! Could I add ribbon? Well, I could, but I rather like how the focus is so solidly on the flower itself and the balance “feels” right, that I’m loathe to add more that would distract from it . . .

This was fun enough, despite the fact that I RARELY emboss anything, being the utterly lazy stamper I am, that I will definitely explore this more. It really was FUN, and not “too much” work. chuckle!

20 Comments
  1. Love this…thanks for the instructions. Lex of Love is one of my all time favs and now you have inspired me to create a Mother’s day card with this technique!

  2. yea, Julie… lazy stamper is the first adjective I think of when I think of you and your work… NOT!

    This is so cool… I actually have these stamps so I can for once, go play with what you described. Yippeeeee! Thanks as always for your inspiration and whimsy!

  3. freakin gorgeous card Julie – love reading your blog!

  4. Girl…finally took a peek at your blog. You are simply amazing. This card is soooo gorgeous!

  5. Indeed it *is* more fabulous in person!
    *squealing with joy* :)

  6. And it’s even more fabulous in person — Julie, you are THE bomb!! When you said we could probably figure it out, the only way I could figure, I thought “No, she wouldn’t go to that much trouble!” I love that you figured out a solution to that cool stamp we got a preview of!

    Many thanks, my friend!

  7. What a beautifully simple card. Thank you for sharing and sharing the technique directions.

  8. Wow, Julie!! You totally pulled it off! That is a fabluous card! Thanks for sharing the “how to” with us!! You rule!!!

  9. Julie,
    You are too kewl for your own good!
    Susan

  10. Julie this is FABOO!!! I love it :)

Leave a Reply